As many users will know, Magento Go is shutting it’s doors on the 1st of February 2015. There’s an official post on the Magento Go website about this if you want to know more about it. Magento have decided to put all their efforts into developing their self hosted editions of their store (Magento Community and Enterprise).
This change is leaving thousands of merchants facing a time limit on finding a new solution. Magento Go users have the option of moving over to BigCommerce, but there are a few points which should be considered before migrating to their system. BigCommerce is another hosted platform. This means that all your data is in their system and you don’t have as much control and flexibility what you can achieve with the store.
At Pinpoint Designs, we’re offering a Magento Go migration across to the Magento Community Edition platform. We can migrate your store with minimal fuss, retaining all of your content, products and customer data (including orders). If you’re happy with your current store design, we can migrate this across for you to give you seamless transition.
The main differences between Magento Go and Community are as follows:
Magento Community Edition
- A huge base of custom extensions available
- Very flexible and scalable (can be developed to include any functionality you require)
- Flexibility to move the hosting around where required
- Complete control over your code, database and customer details. This means full customisation of all aspects of your store.
- Free open source software (no transaction fees)
- Better feature set out of the box
- Phone, Email and Live Chat for technical support
- Hosted platform (no need to worry about hosting).
- Fully PCI compliant out of the box
- A few ‘out of the box’ modules (Store credits, theme editor)
Magento Community Edition
- Hosting must be organised
- PCI DSS compliancy would need to be setup
- Upgrades need to be done manually.
- Only a select number of themes available
- No access to the code base for extending the store
- Only a very small number of extensions available
- Restricted to the Magento platform hugely
At Pinpoint Designs, we specialise in building stores on the Magento platform. We can help you to migrate your existing store across from Magento Go to Magento Community edition easily and take out all of the stress. We’ll ensure that 301 redirects are put in place to reduce any disruption in your search engine rankings and work with you to make the transition as seamless as possible. We can also offer support and maintenance contacts to help manage your store on an on-going basis.
We’ve recently won the RAR+ Digital Awards award for the Best Agency for Effectiveness in 2014. We strive to provide the best possible service and want to help our customers propel their business forward.
For more information, take a look at our Magento services, or call us out 01423 740152.